The 8 of Cups in Tarot depicts a man walking away from a scene. It is night time and the moon is shining down on him representing mystery and the unknown. A river flows next to him symbolizing the watery element of the Suit of Cups and the emotions. He has a walking stick which suggests he is more on the elderly side, or it could mean he is embarking on a trek which symbolizes a new journey.
The meaning of the number 8.
The number 8 often relates to process, building upon something as well as power issues, balance authority, control and recognition. For another context where the 8 is represented in a different suit, click here.
When relating the 8 to Cups, it can symbolize an emotional situation that you have been building up over time, yet has not come to fruition as you would have hoped.
The meaning of Cups.
The Suit of Cups represents the emotions, feelings, love and inspiration. The element it relates to is water. Matters of the heart are key within this suit as are creativity, inspiration, spirit, relationships and all things relating to the intangible aspects of life. For another example in Tarot where the Cups are represented click here.
Over all, the 8 of Cups suggests a situation in which you may have to leave something and go and search for fulfillment elsewhere. Traditionally the card has been associated with disappointment and loss, or turning your back on a situation that is causing you heart ache. As with any Tarot card, the interpretation will never be exact in terms of anything written in stone. The cards should be used with wisdom and not seen as a quick prediction into the future. The individual pictures in Tarot cards highlight common themes in humanity that we all at some stage will go through. The key is knowing which themes you might be going through in the present that may be out of your conscious awareness.
The Tarot has its real value when a person notices their own feelings surfacing while they gaze upon a card and take note of what comes up for them. After some contemplation and not too much analysis, they then make a practical plan as to where to go next based on their intuition. When you randomly draw the 8 of Cups as a way to get some insight into a situation in your life, consider if there is an area that you need to move on from because it is not bringing you any real joy. This could be a relationship, a work situation, a way of thinking about something, a project that is draining your energy, or, releasing the past to make more room for something new.
Questions to ask yourself.
- Where do you need to ‘let go’ and move on in life?
- What situations at work might you need to remove yourself from?
- What relationship situations are you too invested in that are causing you great heartache? Is there are a way you can ‘move on’ emotionally even if it doesn’t mean physically leaving the situation? Or, perhaps you are in a situation where you would be better off moving on from?
- What endings are needed in your life in order to create something new?
- Is there an area where you feel tired and unmotivated? What new adventure can you bring in to reinvigorate your life?
- What inner journey can you take that will transform your life in fresh and inspirational ways?
I would love to know what the 8 of Cups means to you. What feelings and intuitions come up for you when you gaze upon the card? Feel free to comment below and let me know!