Being the cultural creative, tarot reading empath that I am, I know I am prone to a mind that is full of ‘stuff’. It’s great being an open portal to the universe and all the inspiration that comes with it-but there is also a giant problem that comes with this: I often don’t feel I have my feet on the ground and my level of follow through in a physical sense can be less than effective. The magician card in Tarot has a lot to teach us all about keeping our feet on the ground while staying inspired, but how do we actually implement the meaning of this card? Well, first of all, it’s important we clear our ‘stuff’.
Here are some ideas on clearing clutter tips for all the other psychic dreamers, cultural creatives and tarot nerds out there to find more balance on an emotional, physical and mental level. I will continue to add to this list as I find things that work. So here we go: clearing clutter tips:the ongoing journey to the clarity we all want.
3 tips to clear physical clutter.
- First of all, having a clean space to live in is a no brainer. If you have stuff everywhere and you often can’t find what you are looking for, then it’s time to get honest and clear some stuff from your home. Rather than feeling like you need to do all this at once, have a designated time each day or week for 30 minutes or so that you will look at your cluttter and decide what you will throw out, what you will donate and what you could sell. Put these in three different piles and decide on a day you will execute all the associated actions with each pile.
- Make clearing physical clutter a regular part of your weekly routine. We tend to fall into the trap of thinking that because we have done it once, we can leave it until next year.
- Just because you do it once, doesn’t mean you stop. Clearing clutter is an ongoing practice-an art form that needs to be integrated into your life just like brushing your teeth everyday. A best selling book I recommend to help you with this is ‘The Life Changing Magic Of Tidying up‘, by Marie Kondo.
3 Tips to Clear Emotional Clutter
One of the reasons we may have physical clutter around the place is actually because we have too much emotional clutter. If we are feeling overhwelmed in life in general then this translates into our physical enviroment-including our physical body.
- The first thing to keep in mind with emotional clutter is you want to sure you are doing at least 20 minutes of exercise a day. At least 50% of your worries will seem way more manageable after a good exercise session so if you really want to be as clear as possible in your mind and emotions, you can’t ignore doing exercise. If your body is in too much pain from illness, try something much more gentle such as Qigong. Here is a 20 minute exercise I put together and can be practiced in nearly any kind of clothing and in any space.
- Practice meridian tapping. Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) has a lot of science to back up its validity and can be used to clear out emotional upsets which occur to enable you to think more clearly and objectively about the situation at hand. It is basically a practice where you tap on certain Chinese meridian points while saying specfic things such as “Even though I am feeling …..(insert your situation), I deepy and completely love and accept myself.” You go through a specific sequence of acupressure points as you are saying this and notice how you feel at the end of the sequence relative to how you felt before you started. One of the worlds master practitioners of this modality is Nick Ortner. Here is a video him working with a woman who felt a lot of hurt and anger over an issue with a family member.
- Practice Qigong 6 healing sounds. Through the ancient practice of sound healing which you create with your own voice, you can clear a lot of stagnation within the emotions. Modern medical science backs up the validity of Qigong which is actually thousands of years old. Here is a practice you can do right now:
If you try this exercise-particuarly if you are feeling emotionally charged, I guarantee you will feel differently after. Not only that, if you make this a daily practice, you will help to shift habitual emotional patterns over time and enhance your resilience for life in general.
3 Tips to clear mental clutter
In todays modern technological world, one of the top ways we clutter up our mind is information overload. We jump at our notifications on our smart phones, we subscribe to millions of newlsetters so our email inboxes fill to the brim, we aren’t present with ourselves or others due to our attention on what is on the device we are holding in our hand. Here are some tips to avoid information overload with our digital technology:
- Turn off the notificaitons on all apps on your phone so you are not tempted to go into the app everytime it ‘pings’ you about something.
- Set a time each day you will spend on social media or in your inbox rather than going in and out of it all day. Your brain is in a constant state of ‘task switching’ when you keep dipping in and out of social media and reacting to emails all day and it actually affects your nervous system in negative ways and leads to less mental clarity. Nothing wrong with these apps and services, but just be strategic as to when you want to use them.
- Meditate. Train your brain to focus. My top recommended tool for this is to actually use modern technology to meditate so you can track your progress and know if you are practicing in a way that is actually giving you benefits. A fantastic tool to use for this is Muse.
The headband picks up your brain waves and sends the data back to an app on your phone which will give you feedback on how you are doing in your meditation session. It helps you to recongnise when your mind is not focused and gently reminds you to refocus your mind back into an alpha brain wave state. The app allows you to to track your progress over time to ensure you are getting better and better at meditating. I don’t know about you, but if I am going to sit down to meditate, I want to make sure I am not wasting my time and getting the most benefit out of it! Using technology like this ensures this!
Here is a short videot to see this very cool piece of technology in action: