Week 4 is all about using energy testing to see if certain foods and supplements are compatible with your body. Energy testing can also be used to check what materials such as jewellery or clothing are compatible with your body and which materials send your meridian flow into a backwards motion, and whether or not substances can be metabolised by your body.
It is important tor remember that when you are energy testing, you are not testing the strength of muscles, you are testing the flow of energy through a meridian.
The basic energy test.
After doing the Daily Energy Routine, an individual holds an arm out parallel to the floor and the tester presses down gently to see if the arm stays steady (locked) or collapses downward under relatively light pressure (unlocked). However, when testing substances Donna says it is more accurate to test against the spleen meridian because it is Spleen that is responsible for much of the metabolism of our food and how our body interacts with items too.
How to test Spleen meridian.
- Stand to the side of the person you are testing.
- Ask your partner to hold the arm you want to test straight down the side of the body, with palm facing back and thumb along side the thigh. Fingers should be open and elbow straight.
- Place one hand on the shoulder of the arm being tested.
- Place the palm of your other hand between your partner’s arm and body, just above the wrist. Gently pull straight outward and away from the body for about two seconds, as your partner resists the pull. (Ask the person to “hold” or “meet my pressure” before you begin to apply pressure.)
- By exerting pressure gradually, you can better sense the quality of the energy flow and begin to distinguish a strong response from a weak response. Some people will show very little variation between weak and strong, but others will be very different. Everyone is unique and there is not one response fits all with energy testing.
It is important that Spleen meridian tests strong before testing substances.
Often Spleen meridian is weak (see my week 3 review as to why this is often the case) If it is not, it is important to do some exercises to make it strong before testing. My week 3 review of this course includes some suggestions on how to do that. But in a nutshell, here are some things you can do if Spleen meridian tests weak:
- Rub or thump K27 points
- Do the ‘four thumps (k27, Thymus, Spleen Neurolymphatic reflex points)
- Sedate triple warmer
- Flush spleen meridian
How to test foods and substances against Spleen Meridian.
- Begin with strong Spleen energy test.
- Hold the substances to the solar plexus and test seen. If the energy test that was strong now tests weak with the substance held to the solar plexus, the substance it out of harmony with the body’s energies.
- If the energy test stays strong, the substance is in harmony with the body’s energies and may be beneficial, or simply neutral.
3 Ways to Energy Test Yourself.
Before you energy test yourself, you have to kind of ‘calibrate’ your body so you know whether or not is responds to true or false statements. Make sure you have done the Daily Energy Routine first, and that you have sedated Triple Warmer and flushed Spleen meridian. After this, you have three options:
- Use a weight that allows you to lift it when holding at the side of your leg and pulling out from your body (the same way as in the Spleen meridian test) while you make a true statement about yourself such as “my name is …..” If you are having trouble lifting the weight at this point it could be that it is either too heavy or your energies are not flowing. So adjust the weight by using a sandbag or a jug of water and note what amount is the right amount. Once you have a weight that is not too heavy to lift, but provides enough resistance to notice when the weight becomes more difficult to lift while testing a substance, you know you are on the right track.
- Use your body as a pendulum. This test is useful when you want to see the effect something will have on your body. While standing, hold the substance in question over your solar plexus with one hand, then place your other hand over the first hand. Bring your elbows to your sides and breath in deeply. As you release your breath, release all thoughts too. Using your body as a pendulum, let it fall forward or backward to indicate strong or weak. Falling forward indicates that you test strong on the substance and therefore it is in harmony with your energy. Falling backwards means you test weak on the substance and therefore it is not in harmony with your energy.
- Using the quadriceps (thigh muscles) to self test. While sitting down, lift one leg slightly off the chair and extend your foot out 30 degrees. Then, push down on your knee. A locked or strong muscle will not allow the leg to move. An unlocked or weak muscle will collapse back to the chair.
Other topics that were covered this week:
- Making tests more reliable
- Resetting your body’s valves
- Free the Diaphragm
(I really get a sense I am breathing better after doing these last two exercises above).
My thoughts on this weeks course content.
While I found all of this very interesting, there was a part of me that went away thinking that you could drive yourself a little nuts trying to work out what materials and foods ‘work’ for your energy field and which ones don’t. And I also felt that for energy testing to be truly reliable, you would be best to have a qualified practitioner test you, because family members or close friends are too entwined with your own energy and therefore getting an unbiased ‘reading’ is difficult. This is not to say that I think there is no value in trying to learn the skill with friends and family, but I also think that if you are really sick, you’d be best working with a skilled practitioner to get to the bottom of what could be contributing to making you ill.
Does quality of food really matter?
Donna told a story of a man lived at the back of a 7/11 and had did not have enough money to buy good quality food, and his health was suffering. However, he turned up to the class each week to learn energy medicine and after a personal conversation with Donna where he revealed his situation, she told him to hold a pyramid shape over his food with his hands before he ate it as a kind of ‘blessing’ of the food. Over time, without changing anything about his diet yet following her instructions, his heath dramatically improved and he gained the weight he needed to gain and became healthy and vibrant.
She also told of another story of a woman who loved to cook and was always inviting people around to her place to eat. However, the ingredients she used were not high quality as she also did not have enough money to buy high quality ingredients. However, everyone raved about her cooking and how delicious it was and how good it made them feel.
Both of these stories make me question how important the quality of food really is, and that perhaps the most important thing is our thoughts and intentions around our food.
This is not the first time I have come across this concept and I do find it interesting considering all the health gurus are constantly going on about how we should all eat ‘organic’ foods and buy the best quality ingredients. It seems that from an energetic perspective, the most important thing is how we feel about our food and the love with which it is prepared. This is not to say we should go and eat junk food, but that perhaps we should not stress out if our food is not organic or grass fed or free range.
How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go?
I think that if I had a chronic illness that was really interfering with my quality of life, I would want to go down the rabbit hole of getting energy tests done from a skilled practitioner to hopefully get to the bottom of my health challenges. But, I am thankfully quite healthy, and my main complaint is that I get tired and scattered easily, and have a bit of tinnitus in my ears and suffer from tight muscles in certain areas of my body. For the most part I am interested in peak performance in daily life more than over coming serious illnesses, and also preventing serious illnesses in the first place. Therefore I have so far found the most value in this Donna Eden Energy Medicine course is the Daily Energy Routine and how to self manage my sense of wellbeing and how to live in alignment with my natural flow of energy and how to manage the Spleen/Triple Warmer meridians for greater wellbeing.
My personal results from the course so far.
After weeks of practicing the Daily Energy Routine every day, I now get a sense when I am ‘off’ and need to realign my energies to gain back mental clarity and a sense of relaxation. I have also noticed my tinnitus has reduced at least my 50%, and given that tinnitus relates to the nervous system, it makes me think that the energy medicine routines and practices are having a positive effect on my central nervous system. A quick google search around ‘tinnitus and nervous system’ confirmed for me that tinnitus can be caused by over active nerves and this makes sense to me-especially when it comes to the Triple Warmer meridian being in over drive (as it is in most people in modern life). I notice my tinnitus often gets worse after a cup of coffee, and one of the side effects of caffeine is that it stimulates the nervous system,which is why we like it of course, but it may be pushing it too far.
I am really looking forward to the next module where the topic is ‘pain management’.
If you would like to read my reviews on previous weeks of this energy medicine course, click these links: