The Lovers tarot card meaning at its most basic is simply relating to a love relationship or intimate partnership which is significant to both people. It does not necessarily mean this relationship will be long-standing, but it does mean there are potent energetic forces at play when this card comes up in the context of a relationship question or tarot reading. It can also relate to close friendships which are non-sexual in nature or a close bond between family members. Read on for other meanings where love may not be relevant to you.
Symbols in the card.
Snake-Historically, serpents and snakes represent fertility or a creative life force. As snakes shed their skin through sloughing, they are symbols of rebirth, transformation, immortality, and healing. In the Lovers card, you can see the snake is winding its way up the apple tree, and this can be compared to kundalini rising-the energy that goes from our base chakra in yogic/Hindu teachings, to our crown chakra.
Apple tree-Though the forbidden fruit in the Book of Genesis is not identified, popular Christian tradition holds that Adam and Eve ate an apple from the forbidden tree in the Garden of Eden. The unnamed fruit of Eden thus became an apple under the influence of the story of the golden apples in the Greek mythology of the Garden of Hesperides. As a result, the apple became a symbol for knowledge, immortality, temptation, the fall of man and sin. One meaning that has been so twisted and misconstrued thanks to the Christian religion, is that it was the female who lead man astray, which ultimately lead to the persecution of women over the ages.
Angel-Salvation, looking at the bigger picture, your higher guide, being guided by something that is bigger than yourself.
Mountain-Building blocks, heaven connecting to earth, merging the physical with the spiritual. The mountain has also been said to be a volcano and therefore symbolises the eruption of passion between people.
Flaming Tree-relates to the ‘tree of life’, where the 12 flames represent the 12 astrological signs, but can also be symbolic of the alchemy of fire-the ability to transcend and be changed by experience. In the case of the card, the male and female energies unite to create a whole. ‘As above so below’ relates to the spiritual and the earthy realm blending together to create life.
The lovers tarot card meaning can also relate to your values and what you hold most important in your life. It is about choice-whether you choose to be true to what your higher, or listen to what your wiser self is saying, or not. It can relate to choosing a path which enables you to grow spiritually and emotionally, or choosing a path which does not allow you to be your best self, or most wise self. We all have an inner guide helping us to distinguish between what enables us to live a life of purpose or meaning, and what does not. The key is, which choice will we make? We have free will on planet earth, and each day we are faced with choices that are either life affirming, or life diminishing.
The Lovers tarot card is the 6th card in the Major arcana, and therefore has the dominant numerical vibration of 6. The number 6 in numerology relates to love, harmony, balance, choice, responsibility, service and thinking beyond oneself.
Questions to ask yourself around this card:
- Does the person I am with enhance my connection to my true self? Or am I being pulled away from my true self?
- If I am being pulled away, is it because I am allowing myself to be influenced, or is it because no matter how hard I try, I just cannot find true harmony within the relationship?
- In this relationship-am I able to keep my eyes on something that is bigger than myself and and be guided by that, or do I feel like I am losing energy being around this person?
- How is the intense attraction between me and another serving my higher good? Is it something that feels short-lived, and if so, can I be OK with the possibility that this passionate feeling may not last for very long?
- Can I look past the passionate feelings and seek where our values might align?
- Is the work I am doing right now in line with what I feel to be the most important things in my life?
- Does my work enhance my life force energy, or does it drag it down?
- Do I feel excited about my work?
- If not, is there a way I could bring some excitement back to my work? What aspects might I have been neglecting which could be causing me to not feel aligned with the work I am doing?
- If there is no way the work I am doing aligns with my core values and depletes my life force energy, where might I begin to look for more suitable work? What core values must be present in order to feel like I am being guided by a higher force?
In relation to self
- What are my core values?
- What are my dominant resonant numbers when it comes to my birth date to help me determine what is most important to me? (check out a free numerology report here)
- Am I ignoring my higher spiritual guides at the expense of my well being and happiness?
- Am I able to feel passionate about my life, and if not, how can I change that?
- What am I passionate about?
- Can I align my passions with my higher values?
- What choices am I facing at the moment, and which choice aligns with my higher self?
Does this card resonate with you at the moment? Feel free to comment below and let me know!
Liz is an intuitive tarot reader with 20 years experience. To get a tarot reading, click here.
To check out her top recommended spiritual development programs, click here.