The Fool in Tarot represents new beginnings, spontaneity, faith that things will work out and not taking yourself too seriously. This card can either appear at the beginning of the Tarot deck, or at the end, as it is numbered 0 which represents pure potentiality. He is a central piece to the entire deck because he is symbolic of our journey through life and all the lessons we will learn along the way from the other 77 cards in the deck.
When we are born into the world, we descend from what some would consider pure energy. We have not yet taken on the burdens of the lessons the physical world has to offer, and our spirit is still infused with absolute trust that all is well.
However, because spirit is all light and no darkness it wants to know itself and needs the experience of duality which life on planet earth provides. We cannot know light without darkness, and we cannot know joy without sorrow. The Fool has complete faith that he is in the right place at the right time and is unconcerned about which path or course of action he needs to follow because to him, everything is an open book of adventure and he delights in the moment. Yet, he yearns for breadth of experience and the contrast that experience provides and decides to take the leap of faith to go into a journey of the unknown.
What The Fool means in a reading.
The Fool can represent that urge within you to create something new. It is that moment when a new idea springs into your mind and it feels good to you. You are inspired to run with the idea and see where it might go. You decide to take a leap of faith and throw yourself into it, completely unaware that you are going to come up with some inevitable challenges along the way which could potentially stop you in your tracks and cause you to want to turn around and go back into the ignorance of The Fool. However, if you are prepared to learn the lessons the Fool comes up against, the reward far out weighs any temporary pain you may feel in the journey to the realisation of the goal from the fresh new idea that started you off in the new direction to begin with.
Symbolism of the Card:
The white rose The Fool is holding is symbolic of purity and freedom from earthly desires that can lead to enslavement.
The white dog symbolizes protection while The Fool takes his journey into self realisation towards The World (the final card in the Tarot deck) which is symbolic of attainment, accomplishment and fulfillment.
The mountains in the background are symbolic of the realms of spirit he has just left to descend into a material existence on earth and the rising sun is symbolic of a new day or new beginning.
Life Situations where The Fool is relevant:
- It is the beginning of a new year. Your mind is focused on how the coming year will be different to the last. You are caught up in the New Year’s Resolutions everyone is telling you about, and you feel like you want some of your own, so you make some!
- You’ve been grappling with a problem for a while and can’t seem to find a resolution in your mind. You decide to let it go for a while and turn your mind onto other things. As soon as you let go of worrying about it or over thinking things for a while, a fresh idea comes into your head and provides you with a solution to the ‘problem’ you want. This is where the pure energy of The Fool resides-he lets go and trusts that things will work out, and when he can be in this state of mind, this is where life can flow with more ease.
- You are happy for no particular reason. You feel light hearted and go about your day in a sense of flow and gratitude. You feel protected and loved and that the universe is abundant in all ways.
- You want to pursue a life direction that many would consider ‘foolish’, yet you know in your heart it is the right path for you, so you decide to take a leap of faith and ‘jump’ into it.
- You trust your intuition even when it seems like it is leading you somewhere off the beaten track, yet you know you must follow the ‘instructions’ you are being given.
Are you looking for a fresh burst of inspiration for the new year? The year 2017 is a Universal number 1 in numerology which means that new beginnings on a global level as well as personal level are a powerful influence on humanity this year.
If you are ready to choose a different way of life and re-examine all of your beliefs about yourself and your current life experience in order to have more deep joy, check out this 30 Day Challenge Called ‘Lifebook’.
Lifebook examines 12 aspects of daily life that often get overlooked in society which more often than not results in unhappiness and depression if not addressed properly. You can sign up to participate in this free masterclass up until the 29th of December after which date it will no longer be available.
Here is a quick video about it for more information: